Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Alaskan run camp retrospective



It's been more than a week and I'm still dreaming about Alaska during my waking and my sleeping hours. I'm still trying to figure out why it was such a special time for me and why it's lit a fire under me and kindled a passion for trail running.

Admittedly, it came along at just the right time. I've been running road races since about 2008. I've had some good times and some breakthroughs, but I'm now honestly a little tired of that scene. Recently I've begun to branch out into trail running. It's such a different experience: laid back people, super small races, and amazing scenery. It's hard to say that this camp was a natural progression of that curiosity, but it definitely was a great way to hang out with my brethren in amazing, amazing scenery.

And as much as I drool over running in breathtaking vistas, it's really the people who have stood out on this trip. It's the mentality that drove 12 strangers to hang out together for a week. Except, really, that we know we were never strangers. We have the shared experience of exploring forest paths, racing along mountain ridges, and slogging uphill when the occasion demands it. There's a bond in the knowledge that this common experience is what we seek out and what we thrive on. I've been described as an endorphin junkie and it's totally true. There's so comparatively few of us out there that just getting in a room with 11 other passionate trail runners is a thrill. Being able to share new experiences in the day and tell stories about it at night was something truly special. Finding like minded folks gives us a sense of legitimacy; I went from "that guy who always carries so much gear" to "the dude who does a lot of road races." It's nice to be brought into the fold.

And in what other sport do you have a chance to hang out with your legends for a week? Geoff and Krissy are amazing athletes, but also warm, fun, and welcoming people. In my mind, they epitomize the best aspects of trail runners: passion, self reliance, and determination. It's evident that they love what they do, and the fact that they're really, really good at it seems almost beside the point. That enthusiasm is infectious! Trail running is a sport where the training is as much fun as the competition, and as I'm find out that's a slippery slope. Now that I have the skills, the gear, and the shared experience with my buddies to draw on, there's nothing hold me back. (I'm going to run Western States sooner or later!)

And really, their lessons in the end are the ones that get distilled into buzzfeed lists and motivational posters. Pursue your passions. Push yourself beyond your comfort zone. Surround yourself with energized people who will support your adventures. Treat rivals as friends, not enemies, and competitions as a way to bring out the best in yourself. I've heard them all a million times, but now they're all illustrated in faces and landscapes in Juneau, AK.

I am extremely, extremely thankful for these shared experiences, my health, and the new trail buddies I now have across the continent. You guys are already missed.

This chapter of our story is done, but the adventure goes on. See you on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment